I love music. I always have. If I’m awake, you’ll rarely find me without music, unless I’m spending some quiet time with God. I suppose this aspect of my life comes down to being a creature of culture rather than being my parents’ child, coz I don’t remember music being a feature of our household. So it’s interesting to see what a huge part it plays in my life.
Anyway, I was thinking about some of the songs and their associated memories in my own life. Here’s the few I can remember:
- Boyz II Men, ‘4 Seasons of Loneliness’; Celine Dion, Falling into You and ‘My Heart Will Go On’: Rachel, Christine and my GCSEs; playing downball after school with Gabe; making music with Dawen.
- Rich Mullins, Songs: summer 1997 in Melbourne.
- Aerosmith, ‘I Don’t Wanna Miss a Thing’: summer 1998; watching Lethal Weapon 4 with Phil.
- Edwin McCain, ‘I’ll Be’; Shawn Mullins, ‘Shimmer’; Paula Cole, ‘I Don’t Want To Wait’: Dawson’s Creek, Katie Holmes, my A-levels at boarding school.
- U2, All That You Can’t Leave Behind; David Gray, White Ladder; Coldplay: Parachutes: Emma, Katie Holmes-a-like, and my first year at UCL; drinking lots and lots of tea with Sukhi.
- Lifehouse, No Name Face: Smallville, my second year at UCL, Katie, going to Paris.
- Jars of Clay, The Eleventh Hour; the Bridget Jones Soundtrack: Ally, Uganda, and falling in love; lying under the stars, waking up early; making a best friend.
- Fono, Goesaroundcomesaround: leading cell group with Tim, my final year at UCL, Rachel.
- Switchfoot, The Beautiful Letdown: my first year at LST.
- Duke Special, My Villain Heart: Daren and Helen.
- Jack Johnson, In Between Dreams and A Weekend at the Greek: fall/winter 2005, lots of movies and late night chats with Danie.
- The Fray, The Reason EP; anything by Ben Folds or Guster: Laura, summer 2006, graduation.
- John Mayer, Continuum: fall 2006, moving to Pasadena, starting at Fuller.
- Sufjan Stevens, Songs for Christmas: Christmas 2006, Urbana, hanging out with Jeff and the CPC gang in St Louis.
- Lifehouse, Who We Are: Tim and Tiff’s wedding, Colorado, summer 2007.