- A 7.0 earthquake hit Haiti yesterday. Check out pictures here and here. (Warning: some disturbing images.)
- Afghan civilian deaths were up in 2009.
- Google may pull out of China!
- The Federal Reserve reports a record profit, which means more money going into the US Treasury!
- A map of the world with China at the center, drawn by Italian missionary Matteo Ricci in 1602, goes on display at the Library of Congress.
- President Obama had the highest Congressional support in the first year of a presidency on record.
- The story of an extraordinary Facebook-facilitated Guantanamo reunion.
It’s Human Trafficking Awareness Day! Tell someone who doesn’t know about the 27 million people trapped in modern slavery. And then do something about it!
Check out these awesome pics to start out your week/day:
And then enjoy this cover from Cathy Nguyen and Andrew Garcia:
- Whistler’s homeless are being relocated ahead of the Winter Olympics.
- The oldest known Hebrew script has been deciphered. Find out what it says here.
- Colt McCoy shows grace and faith in the face of defeat:
- China claims to have freed over 10,000 victims of human trafficking in the last year.
- A new report comes out: immigration reform will ease economic decline.
- NBC’s Bryan Williams: why Jon Stewart is good for the news.
- GOOD covers the H&M saga.
- For the Angelenos, the fake freeway sign that became a real public service.
- Oh, the places you’ll go … The NY Times lists 31 places to go in 2010.
- As a fantasy geek myself, I can appreciate this from what’s fast becoming one of my favorite blogs, YOMYOMF ("You offend me, you offend my family"): "Fantasy gone wrong."
- Some fascinating facts about sneezing.
- Some secrets about London!