Click any of the photos to head to the gallery. All pics by White House photographer Pete Souza.
Here’s another pic of Barack and Savita (from the White House Photostream):
So freaking cute!
- Barack Obama becomes only the third sitting president (and the first since Woodrow Wilson in 1919) to win the Nobel Peace Prize. Here’s his statement in response. And here are some reactions. And the BBC’s coverage. More of my own thoughts on this to come.
- “Rich guy dislikes poor people.” This is pretty sickening.
- Al Franken (D-MN), who’s fast becoming one of my favorite senators, wins bipartisan support for legislation reining in KBR/Halliburton’s treatment of rape.
- The US trade deficit shrinks in August.
- Study: tall men have more attractive partners … which means what for me, exactly?
- Violence against women is not being sufficiently addressed in the UK (and probably anywhere, for that matter).
Happy October! Only three months of 2009 left!
- In more sobering news, the death toll in Indonesia passes 700.
- Iran talks nuclear.
- Senators Boxer and Kerry introduce the Clean Energy Jobs and American Power Act. Here’s John Kerry’s op-ed in Politico.
- BBC News covers William Kamkwamba, the “Boy Who Harnessed the Wind.” (See my previous LotD entry.)
- This kid is NOT going to live this play down. Oh, high school football …