The previous photo which I credited to Neville for passing on was taken by Dave Bullock. More of his photos here.
Four months of 2009 left!
- The CA wildfires continue to expand; also, they’re visible from space.
- Cash for Clunkers helps out a little.
- The US Open (tennis) kicked off in Flushing Meadow, NY.
- The Democratic Party of Japan sweeps aside the Liberal Democratic Party, who had been in power for 54 years.
- An arrest in Kansas.
- Sylvester Stallone is bringing Rambo back, this time to fight human trafficking. Here’s a take on all the recent movies about trafficking, and the way they can oversimplify the issue.
- Space Shuttle Discovery finally headed off into space over the weekend (to refuel the international space station).
- Disney buys Marvel for $4bn.
- The California fires get worse.
- FactCheck points out 26 lies about H.R. 3200.
Every year, California preps for wildfire season (yes, we have a wildfire season). This year, it’s gotten pretty bad: according to the AP report, by this morning, the Station Fire (as it’s called) is 20 miles long; 134 square miles have been burned; 12,000 homes as well as the communications and astronomy centers atop Mount Wilson, are under threat.
Courtesy of Neville:
Courtesy of Brian, who lived across the street from me:
Courtesy of Franky:
Please be praying for the situation: for rain, for favorable conditions, and for the firefighters who are putting their lives on the line to stop the blazes.
- It’s wildfire season in the Southland.
- California puts on a garage sale to try and bulk up its financial situation.
- UN Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) releases a new anti-human trafficking manual.
- Former Ku Klux Klan leader Johnny Lee Clary talks about how one black man disarmed him.