Happy birthday, Barcode! Also, baseball playoffs start today–go Dodgers!
- One of the most wanted suspects in Rwanda’s 1994 genocide has been arrested.
- Obama’s Afghanistan strategy will not involve withdrawing troops.
- He’s also pursuing urban renewal.
- Pasadena Chief of Police Bernard Melekian steps down to take up a post in DC.
- Another ring is discovered around Saturn.
- Fox News’ Shep Smith schools Rep. John Barrasso (WY) on the public option–I’m generally not a huge fan of Fox News, but Shep Smith is one redeeming feature.
- If you had five minutes to tell me why a public option is a good thing …
- The Metropolitan Police is considering disbanding its human trafficking team. What–is the problem solved already?!
- How private equity firms make billions by driving companies into bankruptcy.
- Charts to help you succeed in online dating.
- Check out the US electric grid.
- Secretary of Education Arne Duncan guests on the Colbert Report.
- The Minnesota Twins edge out the Detroit Tigers in an extra-innings one-game playoff to get to the postseason. (I wouldn’t bet against the Yankees clobbering them, though …)
- GOOD Magazine illustrates the Great Pacific Garbage Patch.